Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tyler Sample Interview

Royals pitching prospect Tyler Sample recently gave me an interview. Here it is:


ME: What’s the biggest difference between your 1st and 2nd year of pro ball?

TS: There is a lot of difference! My first year I was somewhat out of shape, I wasn't very strong and my mechanics needed some work. All of these lead to some control issues! This year I worked really hard though the offseason and all through spring training and extended to work on these issues and really learned and better understand how to pitch.

ME: What kind of work specifically have you been doing to improve your weaknesses?

TS: Well I stayed in Surprise AZ during the offseason, working out at the facility. As far as making my mechanics better I have just been going through them with some of our pitching coaches watching and also doing dry pitches in the mirror so I can see and feel what I am doing.

ME: I see. What do you feel your strengths are as a pitcher at this point in time?

TS: My stuff is my strength... I have good stuff; I am just working hard at harnessing it at this point.

ME: What are your best pitches in your opinion?

TS:My fastball is my best without a doubt, then my curveball and my change-up has made a lot of progress I am really happy with it at this point. My curve ball is my second best.

ME: What pitcher current or past would you compare yourself or your style of pitching to?

TS: Well I like to think that compare to Josh Johnson... We have a similar body type... similar pitching style. So that is who I would most like to model my game after.

ME: What pitchers did you look up to as kid?

TS: I looked up to mostly the power guys! Guys like Nolan Ryan, Rodger Clemens. Also Roy Halladay being that he is from Colorado.

ME: What team did you root for? I'm guessing the Rockies?

TS: Actually no... I mean I never really had a "team" growing up but I always liked the Yankees.

ME: Not the Yankees! Ha just kidding. So back to your playing career, what was draft day like for you last year?

TS: It was definitely nerve racking, exciting, suspenseful just a whole lot of emotions all in one day.

ME: Where did you think you would go and what did the Royals say to you after they picked you?

TS: I didn't know where I was going to go, but I did think I was going to go earlier. After the Royals picked me they just said congratulations and welcome to the Royals.

ME: Did they lay out any kind of path to the big leagues that they expected you to take? If not, when do you hope to be up?

TS: No they never laid out a path... I knew they drafted me as a project so its up to me and how fast I progress. That is gonna be how quickly they move me up the minors. My goal to making the Majors is 4 years.

ME: What other goals do you have for your baseball career?

TS: I am just trying to be as effective as I can with my pitches and progress as much as I can at this point.

ME: Thanks for the interview!

TS: Your Welcome

Now on another note I'd like to apologize to Billy Butler. I've bashed him on here before, but that was just me being frustrated with the team losing. He's been one of the few bright spots for the major league club this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment